Thursday, April 9, 2009

I Used To Be a Button

Once students learn the sounds of the alphabet they are ready to sound out words. Spelling may not be correct but I always ask students if they want me to write the "book spelling" if the word is misspelled. (e.g. "flaur" instead of "flower') About this time we make a book called "I Used To Be a Button..."
To do this fold a 9x12 piece of construction paper in half top to bottom. I used white so children's writing would show up. On the front cover of the book write the words, "I Used To Be a Button..." Cut a hole in the cover of the book about 1 1/2 in. in diameter. With the cover closed, glue a large button through the hole to the inside of the book. When you open the book, the button will still be glued to the inside. Inside the book write at the top of the page, "But now I'm a ..."
Students make a picture inside using the button as part of the picture. (e.g. a flower, a bike or a clown's nose.) then they write the word beside the picture using their "ear spelling". (e.g. "flower", "bike", or " clown's nose". ) Students are proud of their first piece of literature.

No comments: