Thursday, July 15, 2010

Home-made Playdough - Claydough

In kindergarten we played with clay about once a year, on St. Patrick"s Day because it was green. It was available at the school for free. I used it because it was stiff and most kindrgartners need to strengthen their fine motor muscles. I only made this recipe for my own children and got it from my sister-in-law. I like it because it is easy and it is just like commercial Playdough.
I got tired of cleaning Playdough off the floor and out of the carpet so I usualy sent kids outside to play with it on a cookie sheet. Sculpting tools can be found around the house e.g. Rolling pin. kitchen utensils, toothpicks, objects to make impressions, etc.

CLAYDOUGH

Combine the following ingredients in a karge saucepan:
1 c. flour
1/2 c. salt
1 T. oil
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tarter
1 c. water
1 tsp. vanilla
Cook over low heat until all moisture disappears and mixture looks like playdough. Do not overcook.
Remove from heat, knead and knead in food coloring.

What I learned: Children like to make 3-D art but it can be done inexpensively with supplies found around the house.

No comments: