Friday, November 7, 2008

"I KNEW THIS WOULD BE HARD"

In kindergarten we gave a screening test in the first few weeks of school to see how far kids could count and other things to assess what the students could already do. I thought I should prepare the kids so I told them they would be taking a test but that all the questions would be easy.
I had the first student sit on a chair in front of me and asked her, "What is your name?" She smacked her forehead with the heel of her hand and exclaimed, "I knew this was going to be hard!".
I hadn't realized that even kindergartners have test anxiety. From then on, we would practice test questions before a test so students could see that they could be successful and that they knew more than they suspected.

WHAT I LEARNED: If you will relax and not worry, you will be surprised how much you really know. Confidence is a big boost to success.

No comments: